Woodside Primary School
The WPS website is currently under construction and will continue to add more information.
Structured Literacy Approach at Woodside Primary School
At Woodside Primary School, we are committed to providing a comprehensive and effective literacy education that equips our students with the essential skills they need to become confident and proficient readers and writers. We believe in the power of structured literacy as a foundation for lifelong learning.
What is Structured Literacy?
Structured literacy is an evidence-based, systematic approach to teaching reading and writing that is designed to meet the needs of all learners. It is particularly beneficial for students who may experience challenges in these areas, such as those with dyslexia or other language-based learning differences, and extends fluent readers.
- Oral Language:
- Describe the crucial role of oral language in literacy development.
- Explore how we foster oral language skills at [School Name].
- Phonemic Awareness:
- Define phonemic awareness and its significance.
- Showcase phonemic awareness activities at [School Name].
- Explain the relationship between letters (phonics) and sounds.
- Highlight our systematic approach to teaching phonics.
- Emphasise the importance of a rich vocabulary.
- Present strategies used at [School Name] for vocabulary development.
- Discuss the role of fluency in reading.
- Share how we build fluency in our students at [School Name].
- Explain the critical skill of comprehension.
- Detail comprehension strategies integrated into [School Name]’s curriculum.
Our Approach at Woodside:
- Differentiated Instruction: We recognise that every student is unique, so our structured literacy approach is tailored to meet individual needs, allowing for differentiation and personalised learning.
- Assessment and Progress Monitoring: We regularly assess student progress to identify areas of growth and provide targeted interventions when necessary.
- Multisensory Techniques: We incorporate multisensory techniques that engage different senses, reinforcing learning and making it accessible to all students.
Results You Can Expect:
- Improved reading accuracy and fluency
- Enhanced comprehension and writing skills
- Increased confidence and motivation in literacy activities
- Support for students with dyslexia or other reading challenges
- Extension of fluent readers and writers.
At Woodside Primary School, we are dedicated to nurturing strong numeracy skills in our students. We recognise that mathematics is not just about numbers; it’s about understanding the fundamental concepts and relationships that underlie mathematical reasoning. To achieve this, we employ a structured, hands-on, and high-impact approach that supports students to develop sequential skills.
At Woodside, we are committed to fostering numeracy skills that go beyond rote memorisation. We empower our students to become confident, competent mathematicians who can apply their knowledge to real-world situations.
SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING
At Woodside Primary we embed capabilities and understanding around positive mental health and wellbeing into our learning. “Resilience, Rights and Respectful Relationships” and “Growth Mindset” are taught each week as part of our mental health and wellbeing program.
We take a schoolwide approach to identifying students that might need targeted support and we are proactive to establish clear referral pathways for students that might require assessment and intervention.
At Woodside Primary School, we provide our students with a dynamic and future-focused education. We recognise the importance of digital technologies in today’s world and are committed to integrating them seamlessly into our curriculum. As part of this commitment, we provide one-to-one iPads for the entire school and one-to-one laptops for students in years three to six.
At Woodside, we are dedicated to equipping our students with the skills and knowledge they need for a rapidly evolving future. In an age of ever-changing technology, we understand the importance of preparing our students for occupations that may not even exist yet.
At Woodside Primary School, we believe in the power of diversity and inclusivity in education. As part of our commitment to providing a well-rounded and inclusive learning environment, we offer the opportunity for students to learn Auslan (Australian Sign Language). We are proud to offer Auslan as part of our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and empowering our students with valuable skills for life.
Music is not just a subject; it’s a vibrant part of our school culture. All students actively participate in music education. We believe that music should be accessible to everyone, and we strive to provide a well-rounded music curriculum that fosters a lifelong love for music.
Woodside takes pride in encouraging our students to showcase their musical talents beyond the classroom. Our students have the opportunity to participate in the Yarram Eisteddfod, where they perform as part of an ensemble. This event celebrates the diverse talents of our young musicians and provides a platform for growth and recognition.
Starting in years four through six, students have the opportunity to explore a range of musical instruments through our dedicated instrumental program. This program introduces students to the world of music-making, allowing them to choose an instrument of interest and receive expert instruction. Learning to play an instrument not only develops musical skills but also enhances discipline, patience, and perseverance.
The highlight of our calendar is our annual Christmas concert. This heartwarming event brings together students, parents, and the community in a celebration of music and festive cheer.
At Woodside Primary, we recognize the critical role that Physical Education (PE) and sports play in the holistic development of our students. Our comprehensive PE program is designed to ensure that every student participates actively, enhancing their motor skills, promoting physical fitness, and instilling the values of sportsmanship.
We offer a wide range of sports and activities to cater to diverse interests and abilities. Whether a student is interested in team sports, individual activities, or recreational fitness, there is a place for everyone to thrive and grow.
We invite all students to actively participate in our PE and sports programs, fostering not only physical development but also character growth. The skills and values learned on the field or court have a lasting impact on students’ lives.
At Woodside, we are proud to provide a nurturing and inclusive environment where students maximise their motor skill development, embrace sportsmanship, and develop a lifelong love for physical activity. To learn more about our PE and sports programs or to get involved, please explore our resources or reach out to our dedicated educators.