Our spacious, immaculately maintained and well-equipped grounds welcome our healthy students each day.
Set on one hectare, children are able to play either on a pristine oval, basketball court, play equipment, sand pit or grassed and paved areas. Large shade cloth structures cover the sand pit and play equipment area. A productive vegetable garden and chooks are tended by the students.
All class rooms are under one roof following the building of a new school in school 2010. This versatile learning space has allowed Woodside to run innovative programs such as our numeracy program. The open plan school building has three spacious classrooms and an open learning area.
In addition to our main building our heritage building houses our instrumental program and art room. This building has extensive renovations in 2011. Built in the 1920’s we have been assured it will last another one hundred years. Another building is utilised for our extensive library. Here children enjoy a quiet place to read and be read to.
The school is also fortunate in having use of the Community Hall just over the road. Solar Panels are installed on the roof of the main building. No power bills for us!
Following the recommendation of District Inspector Topp, Woodside Primary No. 1176 was established 1st January, 1873. This date is also the same date as the establishment of the Education Department in Victoria. On the same date an earlier school (Rural School 130 Woodside) was struck off the rolls. This earlier school opened in November 1871 and was run by Edward Fry and his wife.
The oldest surviving building at Woodside P.S. dates back to the early part of last century. This beautiful building is now used for Visual Art and Instrumental Music with a seperate section housing the School Library. The building is owned and maintained by the school.
In 1909 Woodside was operated half time with Darriman West School No. 3070. In past days there were many schools such as Darriman West but sadly most have closed due to changing population trends. The building of our new school has been another milestone in our great history.